Welcome to the Marion R/C Flyer's of Rochester, MN web portal.
8015 50th St SE
Eyota, MN 55934
Need more club Information?
To talk to a live person about how to join our club contact any of the Club Officers listed under
the link "About Us". You are also welcome to attend our club meetings listed below.
We enjoy a wide variety of aircraft ranging from electrics, helicopters, glow powered airplanes,
exotic giant scale war birds and even a few honest to goodness gas turbine jets!
We have experienced airplane and helicopter pilots who can help you learn to fly.
Link to weather station 2 miles away:
Here is a link to data for Rochester airport’s official weather station located about 8
miles to the WSW.
Winter Club Meetings second Tuesday of the month
Meetings switch back to the second Tuesday of the month.
2017 Winter Club meeting Schedule:
The winter club meetings are held the second Tuesday of the month and will be held
at the Bowlocity Entertainment Center 2810 N Broadway, Rochester, MN (former
Recreation Bowling Alley) starting at 7:00 pm. Enter through the west doors parallel
to North Broadway and the large meeting room will be the 2nd door to the left
inside the building.
2017: Mar 14th; Apr 11th; May 9th.
Summer meeting schedule for 2017 will resume on June 14th.
Electric Indoor Flying at the RCTC Field House
Tuesday’s starting at 10:00 pm.
Indoor Flying at the Rochester Recreation Center
Tuesday’s at 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Bernie and I met with Ed Staiert, Recreation Center Manager, about being able
to use the space that Kevin used for indoor flying. Ed said that they will reserve
Tuesday's every week from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm for us to fly indoors. This will
be two hours of flying. If there is an event at the Rec Center that will occur at
this time Ed will let me know. But there will be very few interruptions.
Bernie and I accompanied ED to look at the gym. It is just a bit smaller then
the Armory but will be great for flying. They can set up some tables and chairs
for us to use. There will be a cost for individuals to use this area. Here is the
low down. Normal single time use at the Rec Center would cost $5.00 but if we
purchase a $45.00 pass it will only be $3.00 per time. This comes out to be 15
weeks of two hours flying. This works out to $1.50 per hour. Time flying
indoors ---priceless! The pass does not expire and if you can't make it to fly you
will not be charged. There will be a sign-in sheet in the gym that we must sign.
The staff will use this sheet to charge your pass for that day. The office will
keep the passes so we do not need to stop in at the office before flying. We
can go to the gym, setup, sign and fly. The pass is renewable. If the staff looks
at the sign-in sheet and only three of us have signed in and they count ten of
us flying they will take roll call.
You can purchase your pass in person at the Rec Center or call (507) 328-2500
and ask for Kim. She can process your credit card information over the phone.
Then you are set to go. So now do you go to get into the gym? They will
open the back door to the gym so we do not have to come in and go down a
set of stairs. To get to that entrance enter the driveway off of Elton Hills Drive
by the new 125 Live senior center. Turn into the second pull-in for parking and
go toward the building on the left. There is a set of doors that will let us go
directly into the gym.
Contact me if you have any questions. I will do my best to answer them.
Club Dues Now Being Accepted at the Club meetings or send your dues to:
Marion RC Flyers
PO Box 9202
Rochester, Mn 55903
Adult Membership $50.00 per year
Family (Spouse) Membership $75.00 per year
Student (19 years of age or under) $1.00 per year
The Student Flight Instruction Program will resume June 2017 and
continue through September 2017.
Beginner's Night: Wednesday afternoons/evenings will resume June 2017. Contact our qualified Flight Instructors
for free flight instruction. It is recommended that you make an appointment with Ray Dray or Skip Gram for flight
Call Ray Dray at (cell) 261-0930 or (home) 775-6933.
Call Skip Gram at (507) 273-2748
Student Flight Instruction Program
Student flight instruction is provided free of charge during the flying season, June through September, by one of our qualified flight instructors.
- Please call Ray Dray at 261-0930 (cell) or 775-6933 (home) or Skip Gram at 273-2748 to set up an appointment for flight instruction. They can answer any questions you might have.
- You should read and understand the club rules that are posted online and at the field. If you have any questions have your instructor clarify them during the first flight lesson. http://www.marionrcflyers.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=16
- Please call our club instructor to make an appointment for flight training. This will assure that there will be somebody at the field to assist you.
- After completing your lessons you will need to join the AMA and our club to be allowed to fly at our club field. Join the AMA at https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspx. To join our club, contact Wayne Brown at 319-4406. Our membership forms can be found in the New Pilot Info link to the left.
The available instructors are listed below:
- If using your own airplane for flight lessons you should make sure your radio equipment has been charged and the switches are in the off position before you arrive at the field. If you do not own your own airplane you can use the club training aircraft at no charge to you.
- When you arrive at the field ask for your instructor. He will provide direction on where and how to set up the airplane for instruction.
- Pay attention to what your instructor has to say and show you. He will show you proper flying field procedures and etiquette. You can learn by observing how pilots set up and fly their aircraft.
- Relax and take your time. If you feel tired or worn out call it a day and schedule a lesson for another day. When learning to fly it may take more lessons than expected.
- When your instructor says you are ready you will complete a check flight, where you will be asked to do three takeoffs and landings, demonstrate the correct pattern and flying field etiquette. After successful completion you will then be considered a qualified R/C Pilot and allowed to fly solo without an instructor.
- You can request additional lessons at any time. These can include aerobatic maneuvers.